Refrigerators are no longer a luxury. You just can’t do without them. They have made our lives so much simpler by offering the facility of preserving items for longer use. Over time, the facilities and features of refrigerators have also undergone tremendous improvements. Today, a refrigerator is available in numerous designs, sizes and features to suit your best needs.
Earlier we covered the difference between Direct Cool vs Frost Free Refrigerators to help our readers make informed decisions. This guide covers the difference between top mount and bottom mount refrigerators.
If you’re looking to buy a double door refrigerator, there are two most popular choices before you – Top mount and Bottom mount refrigerators. It’s best to do a detailed research on each of them before you decide which one to make a part of your kitchen family.
Top Mount Refrigerator
These are the traditional, everyday refrigerators commonly found in most of our homes: a typical double-door fridge that has a freezer at the top and a refrigeration unit below it. A top mount refrigerator is designed in a way that the top freezer compartment is small and the fresh food compartment below is pretty large. As opposed to single door refrigerators, the freezer compartment and the fresh food compartment are well separated.
This conventional style refrigerator has a number of pros and cons which you might want to keep in mind before making your decision. Let’s look at some of these:
Why buy Top Mount Refrigerator?
- Large size, mostly 30-33 inches wide with large doors providing ideal storage space for all your daily essential items
- Huge variety available in colours, styles, designs and models since this is the most common type of fridge used in households
- Also comes in a freestanding atop mount unit and a built-in top mount unit for a more contemporary look and feel
- Majority of the top refrigerator brands manufacture top mount refrigerators as their standard in terms of configuration
- Compressor runs on inverter
- Saves up to 45% energy
- Frost free – provides automatic defrost to prevent ice accumulation
Downside of Buying Top Mount Refrigerator
The only problem with this model is that it provides the refrigeration unit at the bottom. The fresh food storage box (for storing fresh vegetables and fruits) is also at the base of the unit which means that you need to bend down often to pick up stuff. This may be inconvenient at times, especially to those who suffer back problems or even senior citizens.
Bottom Mount Refrigerator
Also known as bottom freezer refrigerator, they are designed exactly the opposite of top mount units – with the storage unit at the top and the freezer compartment below. This model too has its own pros and cons which you would like to ponder over before investing into it.
Why buy Bottom Mount Refrigerator
- Provides convenient access to all food and drink items in your fridge right at the top
- Large space provided in both refrigeration and freezer units
- Available in both freestanding and built-in design models
- Auto defrost feature to prevent collection of ice in the freezer
Downside of Bottom Mount Fridge
- Costlier than top mount refrigerator models which makes it less affordable among common households
- Bottom freezer may be slightly inconvenient to some, especially who use the freezer unit more often
- Normal compressor; does not work on inverter
- Saves energy only up to 35%
Browse our top refrigerator recommendations in budget segments:
Top Mount Vs Bottom Mount: Which Configuration Offers Better Functionality?
Having discussed in detail the pros and cons both of buying a top mount and bottom mount fridge, you can decide for yourself which model would suit your home needs best.
A top mount model would come with its own set of advantages – a vast variety of designs to choose from at a cost that perfectly suits your pocket too. While a bottom mount one has easy-to-access features and large space provision to house all that you ever need.
So go ahead and make an informed decision. After all, refrigerators are not bought every day. Select the one that would go well with your kitchen space and look, and assist you in daily use.