Your hair is an essential part of your overall appearance. When experimenting with various hair treatments such as hair smoothening, keratin treatment, hair straightening, and so on, you should make sure that your hair is in excellent condition. In this article, we are going to talk about how to take care of hair after smoothening.
Hair smoothing gives you a beautiful look you’ve always desired. On the other hand, Chemically treated hair becomes much more prone to frizz, dryness, and damage due to the incorrect products used in the process, such as harsh shampoos and conditioners containing sulfate, pollution, and other factors.
So you should know what helps repair damaged hair after smoothening and what kind of hair products or shampoo should be used for smoothened hair. Keep reading to learn more.
What is Hair Smoothening?
Smoothing your hair is a temporary treatment known as the Brazilian Treatment, Keratin treatment, and protein treatment. It is a chemical process involving soaking the hair in a formaldehyde solution, drying it, and then straightening it. It replenishes lost protein in your tresses, making them stronger and more lustrous. Smoothening results in frizz-free, straight hair, which can last for up to 6 months or longer.
How to Take Care of Hair after Smoothening?
Smoothing your hair for straight and silky hair sounds very alluring. However, the treatment involves the use of chemicals, which can be damaging to your hair. It may look like an easy task but hair care after smoothening and keeping the same for a long time is not that easy.
It is essential to provide special hair care after smoothing. If not done correctly, it becomes more prone to frizz, dryness, and damage. So you should know how to take care of hair after smoothening.
Blueprint to Hair Care after Smoothening
A. Immediately After The Smoothening Treatment
1. For at least 48 hours, avoid getting your hair wet. A small amount of water can cause a crinkle in your freshly completed treatment.
2. You must compromise your sleeping posture for about three days because you must ensure that your hair is straight all through the night while lying in bed. Also, for better hair health, switch out your pillowcase.
3. Avoid tying your hair or tucking it behind your ear with a hairpin because this will bend your hair and leave a bad mark on it.
B. Three Days After The Hair Smoothening Treatment
1. Make sure that your hair is not wet for at least 48 hours. Any water can cause a crinkle in your freshly done treatment.
2. You must compromise your sleeping posture for about three days because you must ensure that your hair is straight all through the night while sleeping. Also, for better hair health, switch out your pillowcase.
3. Avoid tying to tuck your freshly done hair behind your ear or using a hairpin to tie your hair because this will bend your hair and leave a bad mark on it.
4. Use hair masks from the same brand as your shampoo and conditioner to help keep your hair’s moisture layer alive.
6. Make use of a leave-in conditioner. It helps in moisture retention as well as the prevention of dryness and frizz.
7. Use hair masks or get hair spas regularly to add vitamins to your hair and stock nutrients lost caused by the chemicals.
C. 15 Days After Hair Smoothening Treatment
1. Begin by focusing on your diet and including hair-friendly foods. Biotin-rich foods, such as nuts, almonds, green vegetables, dairy products, and various fruits can potentially boost your hair health. Protein is essential for hair health, so include plenty of it in your diet. Protein-rich foods include fish, chicken, eggs, and soy products. Include foods that are high in amino acids as well. Moreover, supplements that help your hair are available.
2. Always trim your hair at a regular interval. Trimming your hair keeps it in great condition and allows you to remove split ends easily. Furthermore, trimming will help you in getting a healthy hair appearance.
3. Hairstyling tools, such as a flat iron, should be avoided because they will even damage the hair shafts. Avoid using any heat styling product, but use the cool setting or a diffuser if you must style.
4. Chemically treating your hair already puts a lot of chemicals on it, so avoid any other kind of treatment, styling, or coloring for at least the next six months.
5. To moisturize dry hair and keep it from becoming entangled, use an anti-frizz spray.
6. Avoid shampooing your hair every day if it does not become greasy. Shampoo every other day or try co-washing, which involves using a conditioner as a shampoo and then rinsing it out.
7. Avoid tying your hair up or using any hairpin. It might leave with a wavy mark that is difficult to straighten back.
Side Effects of Hair Smoothening
We all know that smoothing your hair makes you look all clean and neat. However, you should be aware that it has a wide range of consequences. Hair smoothing may produce satisfactory results, but it also has some adverse side effects.
The most common side effect of hair smoothing is hair loss. Too much use of chemicals and heat weakens hair follicles, causing them to detach at the roots and fall out, resulting in hair loss. Your hair strands’ amino acids and disulfide bonds are damaged and rebonded, giving them a temporary new texture. As a result, hair strands lose their natural strength and texture and begin to break.
Furthermore, the chemicals used in hair smoothing can cause scalp dryness, leading to dandruff and dehydrating hair.
Split ends can also be caused by exposing your hair to high temperatures during a hair smoothing treatment.
Hair smoothening, without a doubt, produces super smooth and straight hair. However, this makes your hair fragile, and if not properly cared for, it can leave you with no choice. You should pay attention to your hair stylist’s advice before and after smoothing your hair. Keep the above guidelines in mind. You will have silky hair that is also healthy, allowing you to fulfill your desires without causing damage to your hair.